The Annals of African Surgery (AAS) would like to recruit an intern who will assist the editors in the running of the regionsâ€™ leading surgical academic journal. The intern will commit to 10 hours a week (1 hour a day Monday to Friday, 1hour weekly for meetings and 4 hours on Saturday) in the running of the journal.
This requires a creative, organized person with an interest in academic writing who is willing to learn much about biomedical journal publication and editorial processes for six months. The post is open to senior medical students (have completed 2nd year), medical or dental officers who have completed internship and are currently residing and working in Nairobi.
• Helping with managing and maintaining the online editorial system known as ScholarOne Manuscripts
• Liaising with the editorial team for planning board meetings
• Assisting with initiating, facilitating, and following up on correspondence between authors, reviewers, and the editorial team
• Maintaining our social media presence on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+,
• Maintain and update the journal website
• Assisting with proofreading of accepted manuscripts, especially ensuring that references are formatted correctly
• Assisting with improving the visibility of the journal by being involved with conferences and meetings, notably the annual SSK, KMA and COSECSA Conferences
• Developing knowledge of the peer review and journal publication processes
• Developing an understanding of the critical appraisal skills and thought processes that go into editorial decision making, manuscript selection, and manuscript improvement
The post should not interfere with one’s academic or professional pursuits, but it does require that the individual is interested and dedicated to working with a team that is passionate about producing a high-quality journal publication. It is an incredible opportunity for academic growth with some pocket money benefits.
The post is for a renewable term of six months starting in September 2018 and ending in May 2019.
Interested candidates should submit an application accompanied by their résumé to the editor-in-chief on email@example.com to reach him not later than 30th August 2018. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.