The Annals of African Surgery (AAS), the continents premier surgical read would like to recruit two interns who will assist the editors in the running of the journal. The intern will commit to 10 hours a week (1 hour a day Monday to Friday, 1hour weekly for meetings and 4 hours on Saturday) in the running of the journal.
This requires a creative, organized person with an interest in academic writing who is willing to learn much about biomedical journal publication and editorial processes for six months. The post is open to senior medical students (have completed 2nd year), currently residing and working in Nairobi and its environs. Candidates who would be able to travel to Nairobi when required would also qualify.
• Helping with managing and maintaining the online editorial system known as ScholarOne Manuscripts
• Liaising with the editorial team for planning board meetings
• Assisting with initiating, facilitating, and following up on correspondence between authors, reviewers, and the editorial team
• Maintaining our social media presence on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+,
• Maintain and update the journal website
• Assisting with proofreading of accepted manuscripts, especially ensuring that references are formatted correctly
• Assisting with improving the visibility of the journal by being involved with conferences and meetings, notably the annual SSK, KMA and COSECSA Conferences
• Developing knowledge of the peer review and journal publication processes
• Developing an understanding of the critical appraisal skills and thought processes that go into editorial decision making, manuscript selection, and manuscript improvement
The post should not interfere with one’s academic or professional pursuits, but it does require that the individual is interested and dedicated to working with a team that is passionate about producing a high-quality journal publication. It is an incredible opportunity for academic growth with some pocket money benefits.
The post is for a term of 1 year. Interested candidates should submit an application accompanied by their résumé and evidence of enrolment to a medical school to the editor-in-chief on firstname.lastname@example.org to reach him not later than 15th January 2021. All attachments must be named starting with the names of the candidates (e.g. A CV by Mary Kamau could be named ‘Mary Kamau CV.doc’ etc). Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.